Education Service Center Region 11
- Custodian II – Head Custodian Elementary School Como Elem 5728-7 JobID: 4743
- Position Type:
Maintenance & Custodial/Custodian
- Category/Recruitment Type:
- Date Posted:
- Closing Date:
Fort Worth ISD
Custodian II – Head Custodian Elementary School Como ES
Reports to: Supervisor II – Custodial Services
Pay Grade: 304
Duty Days: 245
Salary Range: $30,556 – $37,534
(Must be flexible with hours; may require working late shifts such as: 11:00 am – 7:30pm; 3:30 pm – 12:00 am)
Supervises, plans, coordinates, and participates in the cleaning, grounds maintenance, and operation of District facilities using routine procedures to maintain a high standard of safety, cleanliness, and efficiency of building operations and grounds.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains a cleaning schedule that includes cleaning floors, wastebaskets, windows, furniture, equipment, and restrooms.
- Keeps school building and grounds (including sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, and play areas), neat and clean.
- Complies with local laws and procedures for storage and disposal of trash.
- Assists in maintaining an inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment; requests additional supplies as needed.
Maintenance & Repairs
- Assists with lunchroom set up, including arranging tables and chairs.
- Performs preventive maintenance to ensure the comfort, health, and safety of students and staff; makes minor building repairs as needed; reports major repair needs to Principal.
- Regulates heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to provide appropriate temperatures, and ensures economical usage of fuel, water, and electricity.
- Moves furniture or equipment within building as directed by Principal.
- Assists in setting up facilities for special events.
- Supervises and participates in watering lawns, shrubs, and trees involving the operation of manual or automatic irrigation systems in accordance with instructions from Maintenance & Operations.
- Maintains records of shutoff valves and utility cutoffs, including fire sprinkler systems; checks and operates fire extinguishers; may operate or supervise the operation of a swimming pool filtering system and related equipment.
- Orders, receives, checks, and disburses custodial and school supplies and equipment; stores and distributes school supplies and equipment; maintains an inventory of related records as required; and posts Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Assists with opening and closing building each school day checking to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during hours of building occupancy. Follows established procedures for locking, checking, and safeguarding facilities.
- Follows established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, and climbing. Operates tools and equipment according to established safety procedures.
- Corrects unsafe conditions in work area and promptly reports any conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor.
- Inspects machines and equipment for safety and efficiency.
- Maintains inspection records, reports needs for repairs to the site administrator and/or to the Supervisor, Custodial Services; submits appropriate work orders as needed.
- Maintains records and submits reports on plant security, vandalism, thefts, emergencies, supplies, use of facilities, and related matters.
- Issues keys, keep records, and maintains a supply of spare keys.
- Confers with school personnel in regards to the use of facilities and equipment, site security, special programs and activities, and animal regulations.
- Reviews and submits custodial time reports and trains new employees in the proper use of time and attendance.
- Trains and instructs assigned custodial personnel in cleaning methods, use of materials, operation of custodial and landscaping procedures, equipment, and related tasks.
- Recommends custodial needs and recommends priorities for the custodial program.
- Assists with custodial employee evaluations and recommends corrective action.
Personal Work Relationships
- All Fort Worth ISD employees must maintain a commitment to the District’s mission, vision, and strategic goals.
- Exhibits high professionalism, standards of conduct and work ethic.
- Demonstrates high quality customer service; builds rapport/relationship with the consumer.
- Demonstrates cultural competence in interactions with others; is respectful of co-workers; communicates and acts as a team player; promotes teamwork. Responds and acts appropriately in confrontational situations.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Performs all job related duties as assigned and in accordance to the Board rules, policies and regulations. All employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, materials, and methods of custodial work.
- Knowledge of methods and materials used in minor maintenance of buildings and equipment.
- Knowledge of surfaces and coverings and the appropriate cleaning, polishing, and protective agents.
- Knowledge of safe and efficient operation of low-pressure and other heating equipment, ventilation and air conditioning systems, and other building equipment.
- Knowledge of electrical systems in building and grounds operation.
- Knowledge of fire and safety ordinances and regulations affecting school buildings.
- Knowledge of procedures for the maintenance of records; and the report, storage, and disbursement of material.
- Knowledge of basic personnel and payroll rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of flag courtesy and care
- Skill in judgment and creativity in decision-making; considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Skill in providing exceptional service to both internal and external customers.
- Ability to supervise, train, and evaluate custodial personnel.
- Ability to make and adjust schedule.
- Ability to recognize maintenance needs and initiate appropriate action.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare concise reports.
- Ability to access computer email.
- Ability to use and care for operations equipment.
- Ability to make minor repairs to facilities and equipment.
- Ability to use software to read and write email, and status work orders.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written forms.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the performance of duties.
- Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Physical & Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment, including computer and peripherals for email and work orders. Standard custodial/maintenance equipment/tools, including buffer, stripper, wet and dry vacuum cleaner, electric drill, hand tools, shampooer, hand trucks, dollies, lawn mower, edger, and weed eater.
- Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent sitting, stooping, squatting, kneeling, bending, pushing/pulling, and twisting.
- Motion: Frequent repetitive hand motions, including keyboarding and use of mouse; frequent walking, climbing stairs/ladders, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, reaching, and overhead reaching.
- Lifting: Heavy lifting and carrying (45 pounds and over) on a daily basis; may assist others.
- Exerting: Occasional exerting of 100 pounds of force to move objects; may assist others.
- Environment: Works 50% outside and 50% inside, on slippery or uneven walking surfaces; frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, dust, exposure to blood or body fluids, toxic chemicals and materials; regularly works irregular hours and/or prolonged hours.
- Attendance: Regular and punctual attendance at the worksite is required for this position.
- Mental Demands: Maintains emotional control under stress; works with frequent interruptions.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Education: Accredited High School diploma, GED, or Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency.
- Certification/License: Clear and valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Experience: Janitorial, custodial, or building maintenance experience required; minimum varies as follows:
Custodian II – 2 years’ entry-level custodial experience
1 year’ FWISD-approved supervisory experience
Experience in school operations preferred.
This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Powered by Aspex Solutions – AppliTrack, Applicant Tracking for Educators. Online Job Employment Applications, Web Based Employment Applications for School Districts and Educational Institutions – You can also view at www.k12jobspot.com. K12JobSpot is a site that has thousands of teaching jobs – all from AppliTrack school districts.